Wednesday, January 9, 2008

a reverse culture shocked Christmas with more love than i could have hoped for.

On my final flight home from Uganda, I had no idea how my friends or family would react to me or how I would be anymore. I was scared and excited and anxious all at the same time. I pity the guy sitting next to me on that flight from dallas to sacramento, I was so bored and jittery and talkative after all the hours floating in the sky.

But when I got off the plane I was welcomed with more love than I imagined. My mom cried of course, but she warned me and of course she would, her baby was home! And they were holding up a welcome home sign. And a few friends were there with flowers and my bf sarah had sent a bag of trader joes goodies too. It was wonderful. Leaving the airport I suddenly felt freezing cold. And looking back on that return to the American reality, it was strange. The streets were so smooth and the car was so spacious and comfortable. My house was the same, plus the welcome home signs- big and nicely decorated.

Church was weird, I never realized how much I appreciated the high church setting in the Anglican church in Uganda. But I miss it. I love the liturgy and the open buildings and the community. The Christmas service was a choir presentation and I was leery of the invitation to prayer the sinners prayer at the conclusion. I was wondering where the follow-up to these people would be and where the relationships with these people are and most importantly whether these people know that being a follower of Christ is not a walk through the park. It is not the happy choir songs, the warm spacious building or the purple comfy chairs. It is not just a prayer, there is action!! To tell you the truth I didn’t close me eyes.

Then the lame picture thing, I have decided that another cause of stress is computers and pictures. They are headache inducers hands-down. And I don’t really know if I like them. But after we got that squared away, my family loaded up the car and drove to my grandparents home for a big family Christmas gathering. It was good for the most part. But culture shock was definitely recognizable. In Uganda time is relationship-oriented, not efficiency-oriented like it is here in the states. And meals are the central part of the day, they are appreciated. So it was awfully disappointing to walk in a few minutes late to our traditional Christmas eve service and realize that everyone had prayed and eaten, or were already finished. I was like whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold it. Bummer. I was disappointed, but my parents were understanding and didn’t let it go again. I still recognized and recognize a desire to make a fast meal, eat is quickly, and clean it all speedily. I wonder, why the hurry. What’s the rush? What could be possibly more important or a better use of our time? Its bizarre and unloved by me. I just want people to appreciate time and people and the food they are given, and for me to do the same more!

My mommy and my bf sarah planned a welcome home party, which at first was an overwhelming idea, but turned out to be a blessing. We served some African food that I would have a lot or that was significant to me somehow, and over thirty people came. I did a brief presentation and answered some questions. It was overall pleasant to see that people genuinely cared about me and my trip, and were willing to share a listening ear to my stories.

Leaving home was one of those things I wish I didn’t have to do again, especially so soon. I had somehow planned to stay home this semester, but realized that for one, I had to make the decision and believe that God wouldn’t smite me for my choice, and two, that I needed to return to the “real world” and rekindle relationships I had left behind. So after some wet tears and a little fear I took yet another plane to so cal, where the air is still as freezing cold as home.

Thanks to everyone who kept up on my blog (I felt honored and loved that so many people told me upon seeing them that they had read some or all of my blog). And for supporting me and encouraging me, and genuinely happy to see me and hear stories! :)

(and the code word that my friends created for me to say just in case I felt overcrowded or overwhelmed was such a simple yet profound sign that they cared and were there for me!)

a.janee.

....................................................................................................................

uganda day was one of my favorite moments at home.
my family was so encouraging and good sports to all that i put them through!


No comments: