Wednesday, January 9, 2008

back to cbu.

well, in one month I have moved from simple, warm, beautiful Uganda, to stormy and cold, yet comfortable home, to an apartment in southern California with two girls I somehow know. I guess I can adapt well because I seem to be able to adapt to this culture, like I was able to adapt to Ugandan culture. I am definitely always thinking of Uganda, maybe even subconsciously now that I think of it. Wondering what patu would think if he was with me in the cafeteria? Or why we needed to buy a plastic bag holder? Or why in the world there is such poverty yet such wealth? And saddened by the reality that people may not know the stark difference, but also that it exists just around the corner.

The minute I walked into my apartment I loved it! The colors are brown, which I love. And it is spacious and yet cozy. I set up the two suitcases or so of stuff I had brought and have since had several interactions with friends that I truly loved. Like a walk around the block, and a long lunch, and a couch convo. They have all been awesome, and I am astounded by the depth to which these people care about me. And the questions and interest they have in knowing how I am and how Ugandan is and was. It too was more welcoming than imagined.

I am excited to live life. Slow down. And appreciate everything I have been blessed with. I have a new profound appreciation for words, classic novels and movies, music, and even the theatre. Dan Haseltine, a Jars of Clay band member, said something I love and is so true: “an artist [is] a prophet to a world full of busy and important people who need the ‘Cliff Notes’ version of how the world is how it could be.”

It is strange though to always be cold. And to never be outside. And walk into a building and know that it will be warm. And not have a bird fly into the classroom. Or see geckos on my walls at night. Or not have to move my chair into the classroom. And to have more food choices than I can fathom. But I love riding to class on my roomies handle bars and have made a real effort to put people first and value convos and be present. It has been good.

To the question, are you happy to be back, I respond that I loved it there and would have been fine staying and would take the next flight over if I could. But that I recognize all good things must come to an end. And that I am here now, so I am going to be.

a.janee.

No comments: